- Mechanical properties and durability of materials for construction and building
- Material innovations – new materials, and new applications of well-known materials
- Methods and measures for increased use of local materials in roads and other constructions
- Life Cycle Assessment - Environmental footprint
- Digital tools in construction and building
- Circular economy – reuse and byproducts/waste as feedstock for construction
- Condition monitoring
Transition from natural to crushed aggregate; impacts on pumped concrete;
Public funding: NFR Industrial-PhD; Partners: Ribe Betong
Hybrid concrete elements;
Public funding: Norsk katapult Future Materials; Partners: Glasopor, Morken Betong
ReConC – Recirculated aggregate from concrete sludge with CO2-binding properties;
Public funding: NFR 309959; Partners: MAPEI, Ølen Betong, Norcem, Velde betong, Agder fylkeskommune, Schwenk Norge, SINTEF
VALSiGS - Improved Sustainability for Concrete through Silica Green Stone Valorization;
Public funding: NFR 309641; Partners: Eramet Norway, Aaltvedt betong, Block Berge Bygg, SINTEF Industri, SINTEF Helgeland
Public funding: Agder fylkeskommune; Partners: Agder fk, Norcem, Flatland, Borregaard, Sparks, TT Anlegg, Ølen Betong, SINTEF, MSS, Velde, Crusher, Mapei, Frustøl, Per Try, Presis Vegdrift og Eramet.
Partickle packing and low carbon concrete;
Public funding: NFR 277973; Partners: Ribe betong
MEERC – More Efficient and Environmentally friendly Road Construction;
Public funding: NFR 273700 og Sørlandets kompetansefond; Partners: Nye Veier, NTNU, NIVA, SINTEF Byggforsk
Strategies and solutions for including life cycle emissions in planning Norwegian road infrastructure;
Public funding: Statens Vegvesen (PhD-finansiering)
ResGram – Development of recirculated aggregates from excavation materials;
Public funding: NFR 256506/O20; Partners: Velde Industri, SVV Vegdirektoratet, Kristiansand Cementstøperi, SINTEF Byggforsk
New applications of UHPC;
Public funding: NFR BIA 245645/O30; Partners: Dr techn Olav Olsen, Elkem, Kværner, Interform, Norcem, Sika Norge, Subhydro, Unicon, Veidekke Entreprenør, UiS, SINTEF
- Hosamo H, Sliteen I, Ding S. Numerical Analysis of Bearing Capacity of a Ring Footing on Geogrid Reinforced Sand. Buildings. 2021 Feb;11(2):68.
- Adomako S, Engelsen CJ, Thorstensen RT, Barbieri DM. Review of the relationship between aggregates geology and Los Angeles and micro-Deval tests. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment. 2021 Jan 12: pp. 1-8.
- Larsen IL, Thorstensen RT. The influence of steel fibres on compressive and tensile strength of ultra high performance concrete: A review. Construction and Building Materials. 2020 Sep 30;256:119459.
- Mahdavipour MA, Vysochinskiy D. Effect of the Joint Strength on the Performance of Ordinary Moment-resisting Frames Under a Progressive Collapse Situation. EURODYN 2020: Proceedings of the XI International Conference on Structural Dynamics. : European Association for Structural Dynamics 2020 ISBN 978-618-85072-2-7. pp. 3995-4006
- Barrufet AR, Taddesse E. Condition Assessment of Norwegian Bridge Elements Using Existing Damage Records. InEngineering Assets and Public Infrastructures in the Age of Digitalization 2020 (pp. 716-722). Springer, Cham.
- Liljenström C, Miliutenko S, O’Born R, Brattebø H, Birgisdóttir H, Toller S, Lundberg K, Potting J. Life cycle assessment as decision-support in choice of road corridor: case study and stakeholder perspectives. International Journal of Sustainable Transportation. 2020 Jul 11:1-8.
- Larsen IL, Thorstensen RT, Vertes K, Heimdal A. Strength and deformation behaviour of fibre reinforced UHPC; an experimental investigation using Digital Image Correlation (DIC). Proceedings of HiPerMat 2020 5th International Symposium on Ultra-High Performance Concrete and High Performance Construction Materials. Kassel University Press GmbH 2020 ISBN 978-3-7376-0828-2. pp. 139-140
- Vysochinskiy D, Rybakov D. On the Effect of Various Heat Treatments on Microstructure of AISI 4130 Steel Used in Sour Service Pipes. InASME 2020 39th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering 2020 Aug 3. American Society of Mechanical Engineers Digital Collection.
- Hellum V, Ding S, Lassen T. Fatigue of Mooring Chains Connected to Offshore Floating Structures Considering Out of Plane Bending Effects. International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering 2019 Jun 9 (Vol. 58783, p. V003T02A067). American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Larsen IL, Terjesen O, Thorstensen RT, Kanstad T. Use of concrete for road infrastructure: A SWOT analysis related to the three catchwords sustainability, industrialisation and digitalisation. Nordic Concrete Research. 2019 Jun 1;60(1): pp. 31-50.
- Barbieri DM, Hoff I, Adomako S, Hu C. Organosilane and lignosulfonate: Road subsurface layers stabilisers. Advances in Materials and Pavement Performance Prediction II: Contributions to the 2nd International Conference on Advances in Materials and Pavement Performance Prediction (AM3P 2020), 27-29 May, 2020, San Antonio, TX, USA 2020 Dec 8 (p. 7). CRC Press.
- O’Born R. Strategies and solutions for including life cycle emissions in planning Norwegian road infrastructure (Doctoral dissertation, University of Agder 2019).
- Slobodchikov R, Bakke KL, Svennevig PR, O’Born R. Implementing climate impacts in road infrastructure in the design phase by combining BIM with LCA. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science 2019 Aug 1 (Vol. 323, No. 1, p. 012089). IOP Publishing.
- Thorstensen RT. Preventing early age chloride migration into low-carbon concrete. AIMS Materials Science 2019 ;Volum 6.(6) pp. 1020-1032
- O'Born R. Life cycle assessment of large scale timber bridges: A case study from the world’s longest timber bridge design in Norway. Transportation research part D: transport and environment. 2018 Mar 1;59: pp.301-12.
- Taddesse, E. Pavement Rutting Prediction Models for the coastal roads of southern Norway. Bearing Capacity of Roads, Railways and Airfield. CRC Press 2017 ISBN 9781138295957. pp. 1375-1382
- Thorstensen RT, Fidjestol P. Inconsistencies in the pozzolanic strength activity index (SAI) for silica fume according to EN and ASTM. Materials and Structures. 2015 Dec;48(12):pp.3979-90.