- CIEM aims at improving emergency and disaster management by leveraging the potential of new technologies and the digital revolution.
- Starting from understanding the needs of emergency managers and responders worldwide we build solutions that enable reliable communications, joint sense making as well as efficient and effective decision support.
- By combining expertise from Big Data, Engineering, Network Technologies, Information Management, Decision Support, Critical Infrastructures, Sensemaking and Social Media we build solutions for next generation responders.
Projects and programmes
INSITU - Sharing incident and threat information for common situational understanding 2018-2022
The project will develop knowledge and solutions for efficient information sharing between emergency agencies. A particular focus on terminology and map solutions.
Funded by the Norwegian Research Council, SAMRISK program.
- Virtual Reality in Higher Education, Erasmus+
- Social Media Analytics for Society and crisis communication, Marie Skłodowska-Curie RISE
- Augmented Reality Support for Decision-Making in Crisis Management (AUREAS), NFR
- Disaster Diplomacy in the High North and Arctic, NORRUS, NFR
CIEMLab is developing a virtual training tool for training on crisis management in operation rooms.
Funded by Aust-Agder utviklings- og kompetansefond (AAUKF) og Sparebankstiftelsen Sparebanken Sør.
Previous projects and programmes
Integrated system for real-time TRACKing and collective intelligence in civilian humanitarian missionslied for improving information sharing and collaboration in emergency preparedness and management. I
Funded by H2020-BES 2015.
Smart Mature Resilence 2015-2018
Funded by H2020 Secure Societies DRS-7-2014 Crisis management topic 7: Crises and disaster resilience – operationalizing resilience concepts.
Collective Platform for Community Resilience and Social Innovation during Crises
Funded by H2020- ICT10 2015
The SmartRescue project explores how smartphone technology can be used for threat assessment and evacuation planning in acute crisis situations. Funded by Aust-Agder Competence and Development Fund and University of Agder.
The SmartEMIS project focuses on how mobile devices such as smart phones combined with different forms of social media can be applied for improving information sharing and collaboration in emergency preparedness and management. Funded by Competence Development Fund of Southern Norway and University of Agder
CIEMCOE (CIEM towards Centre of Excellent Research) 2013-2016
CIEMCOE is a project where CIEM aim to position itself strategically for the next Centre of Excellence call. Funded by RFF Agder.
CIEM is engaged in project proposals on the topics of disaster management, community resilience, ICT, climate change and security. We target both European projects in Horizon 2020 as well as national or regional funding.
- Sintef ICT
- Forsvarets forskningsinstitutt
- ISCRAM - Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management
- University of Duisburg Essen
- University of Colorado Boulder
- Tecnun Univerisidad de Navarran
- Tilburg University
- University of Nebraska Omaha
- École Nationale Supérieure des Mines d’Albi-Carmaux (Mines Albi)
Public authorities and responders
- County Governor of Agder
- Kristiansand municipality
- Østre Agder Fire department
- Oslo Police Department
- City of Oslo - Division for Social Preparedness
We are interested in strengthening our collaboration with researchers and practitioners - if you are interested, get in touch and contact us at (email@example.com)
Members in the group
- Hossein Baharmand
- Bjørn Erik Munkvold
- Tonje Sti
- Christian Webersik
- Jaziar Radianti
- Martina Comes
- Hanne Haaland
- Vladimir A Oleshchuk
- Tim A. Majchrzak
- Mohammad Tafiqur Rahman
- Kristine Steen-Tveit
- Devendra Bahadur Thapa
- Nils Ulltveit-Moe
- Hege Bergljot Wallevik
- Ahmed Abouzeid
- Mohan Lal Kolhe
- Jivitesh Sharma
- Lucia Castro Herrera
- Sindisiwe Magutshwa
- Pankaj Pandey
- Paolo Spagnoletti
- Nadia Saad Noori
- Daniel Romero
- Filippo Sanfilippo
- Terje Gjøsæter
- Andreas Prinz
- Ravi Sharan